HUD Publishes New Section 811 Project Rental Assistance FAQs

The Section 811 Project Rental Assistance (PRA) Program seeks to identify, stimulate, and support successful and innovative state approaches to providing integrated supportive housing for people with disabilities. PRA funds are awarded to state housing agencies that set aside units in affordable housing projects whose capital costs are funded through federal Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, federal HOME funds, or other state, federal, and local funding sources. State housing agency grantees are required to partner with state Medicaid and health and human services agencies that have developed methods for the identification, outreach, and referral of extremely low-income people with disabilities to PRA units and ensure their access to long-term services and supports in the community.

The PRA Program is one of several recent collaborative efforts between HUD and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that seek to assist states with offering community living opportunities linked with critically needed supportive services to persons with disabilities who might otherwise be institutionalized or homeless. HUD intends to continue to collaborate with HHS throughout PRA program implementation, through the provision of joint technical assistance to states, and to evaluate the program’s success in terms of reducing health care costs, institutionalization, and homelessness.

HUD recently published new frequently asked questions (FAQs) for the Section 811 Project Rental Assistance (PRA) Program. You can view the new FAQs by visiting the 811 PRA FAQs page on the HUD Exchange here.

Topics addressed in this set include:

  • Environmental Review;
  • Fair Housing and Section 504;
  • Program Administration, including topics on TRACS, LOCCS, iREMS, EIV, and coordinating with other federal programs; and
  • Program Requirements, including topics on the Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan (AFHMP), calculating rents, eligible tenants and units, inspections, leases and occupancy, the Rental Assistance Contract (RAC), and more.