How to Handle Requests for Reasonable Accommodations

Under the federal Fair Housing Act and HUD guidelines, you must make every effort to provide “reasonable accommodations” at your site for residents with disabilities. For example, if a resident with limited mobility requests a ground-floor unit, HUD expects that you would try to accommodate the request. If a prospective resident needs a larger unit than your occupancy standards dictate in order to provide space for a live-in aide, HUD wants you to attempt to provide the extra space.

Full Article Access:

Full access to complete articles from Assisted Housing Management Insider is for subscribers only.

Not yet ready to subscribe?