HUD to Offer Disaster Assistance to Oklahoma Tornado Victims


U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Shaun Donovan recently announced that HUD will speed federal disaster assistance to the State of Oklahoma in addition to resources being provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other federal partners.

HUD will provide support to homeowners and low-income renters forced from their homes due to tornadoes and severe storms. President Obama has issued a disaster declaration for Cleveland, Lincoln, McClain, Oklahoma, and Pottawatomie counties. And the president’s declaration allows HUD to offer foreclosure relief and other assistance to certain families living in these counties.

“We will stand with Oklahomans for as long as it takes,” said Donovan. “As families begin the difficult process to recover from this devastating storm, HUD stands ready to help in any way we can.”

One of the most immediate needs following a disaster is housing for displaced persons and families. Individuals who were receiving HUD rental assistance before the disaster should contact their public housing authority, multifamily apartment manager, or local HUD office for help in locating temporary housing. Individuals in need of housing who were not HUD-assisted before the disaster should contact FEMA for help with temporary housing. HUD will share information with FEMA and the state on housing providers that may have available units in the affected counties, including public housing agencies and multifamily owners.


Not a subscriber? Click here for a free trial issue!