INSIDER's Pop Quiz!

Question: Jim Smith lives with his mother, who isn’t employed, and his 3-year-old son. Jim pays for child care while he works as a gas station attendant. Is the household entitled to a child-care allowance?

Answer: Yes. HUD says you may not assume that a household member like Jim’s mother is available or capable of providing child care; only the household can determine that. So Jim is entitled to an allowance for his child-care expenses while he is at work.

For more about child-care allowances, see “Dos & Don’ts for Handling Resident’s Child-Care Expenses in Special Circumstances,” available in our July 2011 issue and on our Web site.