PHA Not Liable for Deaths Caused by Lack of Smoke Alarm and Second Egress

Facts: In 2010, a fire in a unit took the lives of a Section 8 resident and her guest. Their bodies were found on the third floor of the unit, and an autopsy confirmed that both women died from smoke inhalation. The third-floor bedroom lacked a smoke detector and an alternate means of egress—even though the unit was required to have both safety features under the Housing Choice Voucher program in which the owner participated.

Full Article Access:

Full access to complete articles from Assisted Housing Management Insider is for subscribers only.

Not yet ready to subscribe?